by Sunil Bali, 26-03-2017
Rucci was born into a family of grape farmers, but was always much more interested in mechanics and engines.
Rucci realized that the productivity of his farm would be far higher if he had a better, more reliable tractor. So he decided to build one.
His tractor was so good that other farmers wanted one. Rucci’s tractor business grew quickly bringing him considerable wealth. So much so that Rucci treated himself to a very expensive sports car.
Although he loved his sports car, it frustrated Rucci, as he found the ride unnecessarily rough and the transmission unreliable.
Given his expertise of building tractors which were reliable, robust and more comfortable than any other tractors, Rucci wrote to the owner of the luxury sports car firm offering his advice.
A few days later, Rucci received a very curt and dismissive reply from Enzo Ferrari telling him that he should keep his advice to himself and stick to building tractors.
Angered by Ferrari’s response, Ferruccio "Rucci" Lamborghini decided to grab his bull by the horns and design his own car.
The horse and the bull have been rivals ever since.
ps. The tractor in the photo is a Lamborghini tractor.
- I told my girlfriend she drew her eyebrows too high. She seemed surprised.
- My friend says to me: “What rhymes with orange” I said, “No it doesn’t."
- How many opticians does it take to change a lightbulb?
Is it one or two? One… or two?
- What’s orange and sounds like a parrot?
Tony Blair MP I’m Tory Plan B
Live big & love deep.
by Sunil Bali, 19-03-2017
At the age of 54, John B. Goodenough invented the lithium battery which powers all our smart phones, tablets and laptops – as well as electric cars.
37 years later at the age of 94, John has unveiled a new, ultra-efficient, low cost battery which uses a sodium or lithium coated glass electrolyte. It will dwarf his original invention and make it redundant.
The new glass battery will allow electric cars to go three times the distance, and recharge in minutes instead of hours. It’s also far safer as it won’t explode and can operate in sub-zero temperatures.
The new glass battery will power our future solar powered and electric vehicles, homes and industries.
But John isn’t finished yet. He still works every day as a Professor at the University of Texas.
John believes humanity has a 30 year window to come up with an even more powerful "super battery" to take us entirely off fossil fuels, before the environmental damage we are creating becomes irreversible, and says, “I want to solve this problem before my chips are in ….. I still have time to go."
So if you ever think it’s too late to be successful, just remember John B. Goodenough.
For two years a multi-millionaire was having an affair with an Italian woman.
One night, she confided in him that she was pregnant.
Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she would go to Italy to secretly have the child. If she stayed in Italy to raise the child, he would also provide very generous financial support to both her and the child.
She agreed, but asked how he would know when the baby was born. To keep it discrete, he told her to simply mail him a post card, and write "Spaghetti" on the back.
He would then arrange for the child support payments to begin. One day, about 9 months later, he came home to his confused wife. "Honey!" she said, "you received a very strange post card today."
"Let me see," the husband said a little flustered.
The wife watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.
On the card was written:
"Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti. Two with meatballs, one without. Send extra sauce."
Live big & love deep.
by Sunil Bali, 12-03-2017
With his unique blend of martial mastery and metaphysical wisdom, coupled with his premature death at the age of 32, Bruce Lee is one of those rare cultural icons whose ethos and appeal remain timeless.
Many of Bruce Lee’s pearls of wisdom have their roots in Lao Tzu’s classic text, The Tao Te Ching which was written in 6BC.
Here are nine of the best:
- Empty your mind, let go and be like water. Water has no shape of its own but moulds itself to the receptacle that contains it. When heated to the state of steam it is invisible, but has enough power to split the earth itself. When frozen it crystallizes into a mighty rock. Water can be turbulent like Niagara Falls, and then calm like a still pond. Empty your mind, let go and be like water.
- The master observes the world, but trusts his inner vision. He allows things to come and go. His heart is as open as the sky.
- Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own.
- When things go wrong, don’t go wrong with them.
- Sorrows are our best educator. A man can see farther through a tear than through a telescope. Let what tried to demolish you, polish you.
- The spirit, energy and creativity of the individual is determined by his dominant thoughts.
- Always have faith in yourself. Always be yourself. Always express yourself. Be a real human being not a plastic one.
- The successful warrior is the average man, with laser focus.
- If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.
Son: Dad, I’m considering a career in organized crime.
Dad: In the Government or private sector?
With end of year exams looming, here are the thoughts of one student:
I just realized that "never" is a contraction of "not ever" and
"blush" is a contraction of "blood rush" and also,
"studying" is a contraction of "student dying."
Live big & love deep.